The summer season is almost knocking on the door and there is no other finest way to spend your summer evening with the backyard cookouts, burgers, and barbecue. But, before firing up your grill, take some time to clean it thoroughly and make your grilling season more memorable.
You may have clean the grill after use in the last summer and store it safely in the winter months; still, it is required to clean the grill before using it again during the summer months. Therefore, we felt the need to prepare this guide for helping you out on how to clean a gas grill before use.
Before purchasing a grill, people mainly ask or think one of their doubts, that is, ‘how long do gas grills last?’ If you have bought a high-quality grill, then following the proper cleaning instructions to maintain it is one of the important factors that determine the lasting of that grill. Here, we will present you with some of the effective ways to maintain your gas grill properly as that also impacts the taste of your food if you clean the grill after use in the last summer.
As a measure of safety, before proceeding to the cleaning instructions, we want you to make sure that the grill is cool and also both the grill and gas supply are off.
What happens if you use a gas grill without cleaning it?
Gas grills last for quite a long time, but their life can get short due to improper maintenance or not cleaning them. Without proper cleaning at regular intervals, the burners of a gas grill can get clogged, due to the massive building up of gunk it can cause small fires, or rust can also accumulate on the body.
Thus, you should do a thorough cleaning before the start of the grilling season. This can give rise to a question in your mind, which is, “do you need to clean a BBQ after every use?” For effective performance, we suggest you do so.
How often should I clean my grill?
Everyone wants to enjoy delicious dishes on a grill but nobody likes the task to clean them. But, it is one of the important things that you need to take care of as a grill owner so that no carcinogenic deposits can build upon it.
Do you need to clean a BBQ after every use?
A simple yet effective cleaning task should be performed for a BBQ after every use. It can make your cooking experience better and also ensure proper hygiene. After you are done with cooking, let the grill cool for some time. Then, use a grill brush to clean the particles of food that are stuck on the grate of the grill. So the only equipment that you may need for this is a wire brush.
For thorough cleaning, it is better to do after six months. We will provide you various ways to clean the grill after use but if you do not feel much confident you can also hire a BBQ Grill Cleaning Services Company. But not all BBQ grill cleaning service providers are good so you need to check certain things before hiring one.
- When you are hiring a BBQ grill cleaning service, you will not like to pay only to make the surface of the grill clean and shiny. Thus, you must check that they are offering the cleaning service for all the parts or areas that are hard to reach as well.
- Before cleaning, it is good if they inspect the grill for any damaged parts. If they found any damaged parts, then they should immediately report that to you and do as per your requirements.
- You must also check that the staffs are professional and experienced else they will use improper techniques to clean the grills and ultimately you can end up getting worse results after few days.
What to clean the grill with? || Cleaning equipment needed for a gas grill –
Before knowing the methods to keep your gas grills clean, you must keep your pieces of equipment ready. So we felt the need to prepare a separate section on what to clean the grill with for discussing the several types of equipment that you can buy online or just from any hardware store of your locality.
There are plenty of gadgets available in the market but the most popular ones are a long-handled wire brush, a wire bottle brush, some amount of elbow grease, and a 5-gallon bucket. Do not use the harmful chemicals that are available or by hearing from someone because that can not only affect the grill’s life but also the taste of foods cooked afterward.
Instead, take a bucket of warm water, grease-cutting soap, and a mixture of white vinegar and baking soda in a bowl. The grills with stainless steel surfaces can be cleaned with a stainless steel cleaner for extra shine. Apart from all these, you need to buy a pair of gloves, some disposable sponges and few cotton rags.
How to clean my grill? || Ways and methods –
Now, let us move on to the most important part of this guide that can clear your doubt of ‘how to clean my grill’, and also you will no longer need to spend your money by hiring a BBQ grill cleaning service.
Way1: Burn your grill for a while:
This is the traditional way of cleaning a grill where the power of heat is leveraged to make it clean. Allow it to heat for 15 to 20 minutes and then turn the grill and gas supply off. After that, use a high-quality wired brush, dip it into warm water, and then start scrubbing the hot grates. You can also put some dish detergent in the water that helps to remove the grease spots.
Then allow the grill to cool for some time. Once it is cooled enough, take a damp cloth and wipe it off to remove the remaining particles.
Do You Know The Things That Keep Your Grill Away From Rusting? If Not Then CLICK HERE To Read The Full Guide!
Way2: Cheaper way of cleaning:
In this method, we are going to highlight the inexpensive one that you can employ to make the grill clean. All you need is a spray bottle, vinegar, cotton cloth, and lukewarm water. In the spray bottle, put some amount of vinegar and water, and then shake it to form a perfect mix. Now, you should spray the mixture on the grill racks and leave it for 10 to 15 minutes.
After this, pour some vinegar into the spray bottle and spray it on the cotton cloth that you have taken. With that cloth, you can scrub the racks to make them clean.
Way3: Steam-powered method:
There are some steams cleaning BBQ grill brush that can help you to clean the grill effectively without the need for any elbow grease. These brushes help you to clean and sanitize the grill with heated steam and come with a lengthy cord so that you can easily move around the room with it.
Way4: Deep Cleaning method:
You can take a garbage bag; mix two cups of vinegar and a cup of baking soda within it. Then you can just remove the grill grates and put them in the garbage bag for one full night. The next day, you can remove the grates, use the spray bottle for spraying water and pat them dry. After that, if you still find some food particles stuck on it, then use a wired brush for removing it.
Some more cleaning instructions in detail –
Here, we will present you with some detailed steps to make your grill clean and clear so that you can use it for a long time.
- As mentioned in the first method or the traditional method of cleaning the gas stove, you need to fire up the grill and wait till it reaches the extreme temperature so that any stuck food particles or grease can be lightly burned. Then you should disconnect the grill and also the gas supply, allow it to cool completely.
- After the gas grill has been cooled completely, the grates and the flavored bars should be removed and submerged in a bucket filled with warm and soapy water. You can also remove the other parts that can be easily taken off like the control knobs, racks, and trays. This will make your cleaning process much smoother and hassle-free.
- So, once you remove all these grates and bars, the inside of the firebox becomes exposed. At that moment, you can use a dry/wet vacuum to collect all the loose debris. After that, you can use the garden hose to rinse it off completely.
- Then you need to move the grates and panels from the soapy water and use a wire brush to scrub them. You can also use a mixture of white vinegar and baking soda to remove the worst bits of food that remain attached and also removing the bad odor.
- By following the above steps you are almost near to completing your task of cleaning the gas grill. The only step that is left is to wash and wipe it thoroughly. The bucket that you have taken should be emptied and freshwater should be taken in that bucket and also some amount of liquid dish soap. Now, use some sponges to dip them into the water and scrub the entire surface of the grill. Then you can use the super absorbent microfiber towels for wiping and making the surface dry.
Wrapping it up…
Throughout this guide, we have included various ways and methodologies that you must follow to keep your grill clean and ready for using it throughout the coming season. Apart from the ways, we have also presented detailed descriptions to keep your grill clean and clear.
Hope that this guide has been useful and helpful for you providing you all the relevant information you need to clear your doubt on “How to clean a gas grill before use?”