Kamado grills have a long history of thousands of years, but the one that we are aware of today is an egg-shaped grill with a hinged lid, grates, and some space at the top and bottom to permit proper air circulation. Do you want to enjoy the Kamado-style grilled foods with your friends and families? Then this is the right article that will help you to purchase one. We here at grillNgrilling have compiled the top 7 best Kamado grills 2021. This will help you to easily select the right product among seven products than getting confused among hundreds or thousands of models.
Even if you get confused among the seven models, take a look at the Buying Guide section to know various factors and choose one as per your requirements and budget. Firstly, let us see what a Kamado grill is.
Do You Know How To Convert A Charcoal Grill Into A Smoker? If Not!Then Click Here To Read The Full Guide “Convert Charcoal Grill into a Smoker Perfect Guide”
What is a Kamado Grill?
The Kamado grills have gained popularity in recent years but practically speaking, they are more than three thousand years old. They are manufactured from ceramic, terracotta, cement, etc.
That is why they have premium insulation properties that help in maintaining TEMPERATURE and HEAT retention. These are also sometimes referred to as Kamado smokers. Some of the latest models of Kamado grills are also made of stainless steel material.
THE REVIEW – 7 BEST KAMADO GRILLS OF 2021
Now, that you have gained enough INFORMATION about Kamado Grills, let us move on to the REVIEWS!
1. Char-Griller Charcoal Grill E06614
This model of the best budget Kamado grill is our top choice with excellent design, looks, and performance. It is also the highest-rated Kamado grill on Amazon. With this grill, you can enjoy Kamado-style grilling seamlessly with enhanced durability.
The primary cooking surface area is large enough to prepare meals for your entire family with cast iron grates. This has been designed to offer even heating that enhances both flavour and taste of food. Its built quality is great with triple-walled 22 gauge steel ensuring sturdiness and durability.
On both the top and bottom of this Kamado grill, it has a damper that maintains normal airflow and heat control. The easy-to-use dump ash pan makes the clean-up process smooth and fast. Two strong handles are fitted on both sides that make it extremely portable.
- Dimensions of this item: 20.5 x 21.5 x 25.3”.
- Weight of this item: 37 lbs.
- Material: Ceramic.
- Color: Red.
- Cooking area: 153 sq inches.
- Easy to clean and use.
- The assembling process is very easy.
- Sturdy built quality.
- Effective and fast performance.
2. Char Griller Akorn Kamado Grill E16620
Secondly, you can also purchase this best Kamado grill if you have a slightly higher budget. It features a large cooking surface area to cook meals for medium-sized families. The folding side shelves are also useful for keeping the ingredients like sauces and other items.
This kamado grill comes with an insulated design that can generate more heat thereby using less charcoal and less airflow. The cooking surface is made of cast iron with a high-quality 22 gauge steel body. The exterior finishing is powder-coated steel and the interior is porcelain-coated steel.
The cart of this grill is made of tubular steel with rubber wheels that provide easy maneuverability. The front wheels also have a locking caster for extra stability. The easy dump ash pan offers an easy cleaning process for this item.
- Dimensions of this item: 26.6 x 24.8 x 21.65”.
- Weight of this item: 90 lbs.
- Material: Metal.
- Color: Graphite.
- Cooking area: 314 sq inches.
- Convenient and easy usage.
- Not prone to rust.
- Sturdy unit.
- Amazing built quality.
- This is a bit expensive.
3. Kamado Joe Grill Jr. KJ13RH
Thirdly, we have picked up this best Kamado grill with elegant design and looks. It comes with a sturdy and durable cast iron stand for extra stability while grilling. You can enjoy premium grilling anywhere you want with this Kamado grill since it is excellently portable.
The cast iron air vent helps to adjust the temperature precisely. It features a thick-walled and heat-resistant shell so that it locks smoke and moisture within that enhances the taste and the smoky flavor of the foods.
It is provided with a 304-grade stainless steel cooking grate that makes grilling food efficient. This all-in-one grill can be used for grilling, smoking, or baking. The built-in temperature gauge also makes it more convenient and easy to use.
- Dimensions of this item: 19.75 x 20.75 x 27”.
- Weight of this item: 75.58 lbs.
- Material: Stainless steel and Ceramic.
- Color: Blazing red.
- Size: 13.5” grill.
- The removable ashtray makes it easier to clean.
- Great value for money.
- Portable and good-looking.
4. Kamado Joe Grill KJ23RHC Classic II
This premium ceramic grill can be an ideal choice to fulfill your grilling experience if you have a much higher budget. The cast iron cart is much sturdy and provides stability to the grill. This stand also has locking wheels that make it easily portable and easy movement too.
It features a 2-tier divide and conquers a flexible cooking system that makes it very powerful. The multi-level and half-moon design enables you to cook various delicious foods at the same time. It is constructed with high-quality powder-coated cast aluminum that makes it a long-lasting product.
The patented air lift hinge reduces the weight of the dome by 96% and enables you to open the dome of the grill with a single finger. It comes with a removable ash catcher that makes the clean-up procedure easy and hassle-free.
- Dimensions of this item: 26.4 x 26.4 x 36”.
- Weight of this item: 250 lbs.
- Material: Stainless steel and Ceramic.
- Color: Blazing red.
- Size: 18” grill.
- The quality of this grill is great.
- The working efficiency is very good.
- Easy to assemble, powerful unit.
- The customer service should be improved.
5. Aoxun kamado BBQ Grill, Roaster, and Smoker
At an affordable price, this is also one of the best kamado grills that feature a classic style. The wall of this grill is made of high-quality ceramic material that ensures better insulation. This helps to trap the heat inside and keep your food hot even after long hours.
Along with the ceramic construction, it is designed in an egg shape that enhances the energy efficiency of this grill. It can perform cooking in multiple ways like baking bread or preparation of gourmet-style pizzas. Thus, you can use this single grill for baking, smoking, grilling, and roasting.
It utilizes true or lumps charcoal fuel and lighter fluid instead of the traditional charcoal or presoaked ones. The foods prepared will provide a true smoky flavor. It is also compact and lightweight that ensures easy movement from one place to the other.
- Dimensions of this item: 20 x 18.5 x 18.5”.
- Weight of this item: 52.9 lbs.
- Material: Ceramic.
- Color: red.
- Size: 13” grill.
- Classy design and nice looks.
- The thickness and construction are amazing.
- The taste of the foods prepared is good.
- No negative reviews.
6. Char Griller Akorn Kamado Grill E6520
In the sixth place, we have come up with another best kamado grill that offers high-quality performance and efficiency. It features an insulated design that can trap more heat and less airflow so that you can enjoy juicy and moist meat.
The grill uses less charcoal that implies it is fuel-efficient. The primary cooking area is large enough to cook delicious food for your family whenever you wish. The tubular steel cart is durable enough to provide extra stability to this kamado grill.
This model also has a larger serving space that makes it convenient to keep the sauce bottles, other ingredients while cooking. It is equipped with dual adjustable dampers that help to maintain specific temperatures. The grill grates are made of cast iron which enhances the flavor of foods and also helps in even heating.
- Perfect cooking of various items.
- Quick and easy to use or clean.
- High-quality materials.
- The assembling is time-consuming but not difficult.
7. Broil King Kamado Grill 911470 Keg 5000
Lastly, this is also one of the best kamado grills that you can opt for. It comes with a double-walled steel construction body that helps to retain heat and moisture and also ensures more durability than the ceramic models.
With this insulated steel design, cast iron-made top damper, aluminum bottom damper, and heavy-duty gasket system, it is much fuel-efficient utilizing half the charcoal required in traditional smokers. The removable ash catcher helps to easily clean and maintain this grill.
Besides the Kamado grill, it offers a wide set of accessories like a swing-away secondary rack, detachable side shelves, mobility cart, and multitool. The 10-year warranty on the body can make you feel more confident about trying out this best kamado grill.
- Heating time is fast and heat-retention capability is good.
- Strong, no possibility of cracking, unlike ceramics.
- The cart is also sturdy.
- After reaching high heat settings, reducing it to low is somewhat difficult.
How to Buy the Best Kamado Grill? | Buying Guide
The key considerations while purchasing the Kamado grills are
- Size –Most of the Kamado grills come in a vertical design and hence, their cooking surface area is a bit limited. For some of the grills, the cooking surface area is explicitly mentioned but for some, only the diameter of the grate is specified. Along with the diameter, the handles, stands, racks add to the overall size of the kamado grill. For all the products reviewed above, we have included the dimensions and also the cooking area or the diameter of the grates that can give you an idea of the overall size. But, large-sized grills are heavier too that causes a problem for moving them. Hence, go for such a unit that is not very heavy and also comes with the appropriate size that lets you grill anywhere.
- Material –For a kamado grill, heat retention and durability are of utmost concern. In that scenario, ceramic material proves to be the best choice. It is advised to go with the thick-walled Kamado grills because thicker ones can help to maintain the temperature in an ideal manner. But yes, the unit becomes heavy too that makes it less portable. Some of the kamado bbq grills are also manufactured using stainless steel that makes them lighter and also unbreakable if you drop it accidentally. Stainless steel kamado bbq grills also fall in the category of cheap kamado grills but they are not as long-lasting as the ceramic ones due to corrosion or rust.
- Maintaining temperature –A kamado grill must maintain temperatures so that the grilled foods taste delicious. Kamado grills come in an egg-shaped body with a lid, grates, and vents at the top and bottom. These vents help in perfect airflow control that can adjust the temperature in a well-defined manner.
- Easy clean-up process –A grill has to be cleaned properly after every usage to maintain hygiene and also ensuring a long lifetime of the grill. Thus, the kamado bbq grills equipped with a removable ashtray are more preferable due to the fast and easy cleaning process.
- Accessories –Coming to the accessories of the Kamado grills, there are two types – one type of accessories that are necessary to have like, the legs or a reliable thermometer. On the other hand, the second types of accessories are those that will make your grilling process easier like a table grill grate expander, heat deflector, etc. Some of the best brands are there in the market that provides all these accessories. Else, you can also buy them separately from the market.
- Budget –This is important before you invest in anything and the Kamado grills are not an exception too. So, set a budget and go for the best budget Kamado grills available in the market. If you want a cheap Kamado grill, then the first model of Char-Griller on our list can be an ideal choice.
These are some of the major factors that you need to check for purchasing the best kamado grills.
Are You Interested In Buying “One Of The 7 Reviewed Fire Pit Grills Of 2021“?
Advantages and Disadvantages of Kamado Grills
Pros of buying Kamado Grills:
- If you take care of the kamado grill properly, then that can ensure long-lasting performance. It can be very long and can last till your next generation as well. So, make sure to buy a high-quality Kamado grill as that is a one-time investment.
- These grills are coated with high-quality insulation that implies you can easily light them up irrespective of weather conditions. For instance, in the winter months, the Kamado grills can be appropriately used for grilling due to the heat resistance feature.
- The Kamado bbq grills are fuel-efficient since they can be used for grilling for a long time with a minimum amount of charcoal.
- Very rare flare-ups.
- The foods cooked like meat will remain juicy and moist as they trap moisture and prevent it from escaping.
- Once you learn everything about these grills, they are very easy to use.
- They come with temperature control that lets you cook different items like pizza preparation too.
Cons of buying Kamado Grills:
- The Kamado grills are generally expensive so if you have a tighter budget, these are not for you.
- Firing up these grills and controlling the temperature requires a certain learning curve.
- The bigger Kamado grills can offer you larger cooking surface areas but they are not portable.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Which are the best kamado grill brands?
Ans: There are a lot of brands in the market of kamado grills but the best ones are always limited like any other. The best kamado grill brands are Char Griller akorn kamado grills, kamado joe grills, Big Green Egg, Broil King, etc.
Q2. Which is the cheap Kamado grill that I can buy?
Ans: Usually, the Kamado grills are expensive than any other type of grills. But we have picked up one cheap Kamado grill from Char-Griller charcoal grill which is the first model on our list.
Q3. Which material is the best for Kamado grills?
Ans: Ceramic has always been the top material for Kamado grills due to its high insulation properties.
Q4. How can I grab the right Kamado grill?
Ans: Various factors need to be considered for selecting the best Kamado grills like the material for durability, easy maintenance, etc. Please go through our Buying Guide section to know more.
Q5. Why should I buy a Kamado grill?
Ans: Buying a Kamado grill has multiple benefits. We have explained the advantages and disadvantages of buying Kamado grills above, you can refer to that to get a detailed explanation.
You Should Check Out “These Best Grilling Ideas And Recipes”
Before You Go…
We have researched a lot to come up with the top 7 best Kamado grills 2021. Hope you have found it interesting and helpful. We prefer Kamado joe grills and the Char-Griller grills due to the premium-quality grills they manufacture.
Thank you, take care, and happy grilling!